25 Jul 2011

Fire and Ice

DSC_0850

I delight in spending time alone in my garden. It is a refuge from the outside world, a shaded sliver of existence where I shrug off the constraints of the passage of time. Consumed within its beauty, the boundaries of the world begin to blur.

DSC_0848 This past week has been the hottest on record, with temperatures soaring near to 50 degrees Celsius if you take into consideration the humidex quotient – and trust me, it was next to impossible to ignore!

DSC_0649  Rain was greatly called upon, yet for the most part the call went unheeded. A few drops here and there, often misinterpreted as perspiration, dropped from the sky,a goading punishment to those who complained about the cool wet Spring that we had been graced with.

DSC_0659 I did my best to keep the kids happy, or at the very least moist, so as not to droop in the sweltering heat, but even this proved taxing to say the very least! A recently departed gardening confidante ‘M’ once commented that I would make a lousy gardener if I were stranded in the desert: ‘My God man, what were you thinking choosing all of those rare and usual plants that demand water on a near daily basis! What happens when the dustbowl of summer descends?’ If anyone’s words would come back to haunt me, it would have to her hers! Somewhere she is hoarding massive rain-cloud formations, eking out rainfall in drops, all the while her thunderous laughter haunts me! ‘But ‘M’ look how the blue and purple play off the fabulous chartreuseness of the Filipendula. Would you rather I plant Petunias? On second thought, do not answer that question!’

DSC_0668 DSC_0668 I snagged myself three new Helleborus x hybrida ‘Cotton Candy’ [part of the brilliant Winter Jewels Series from famed breeder Marietta O’Byrne – click here for she and husband Ernie’s fabulous Eugene, Oregon website!] from one of our suppliers this week, and as a result, had to do some creative revamping of the R&U border to make room for them. I removed swathes of Tricyrtis hirta [the spotted ones] and a Thalictrum ‘Hewlitt’s Double’ that had outgrown its home, not to mention that it was usurped by its Cinderella cousin T. delavayi ‘Splendide’ in recent years which is located in the same border. [As a good parent, I try to steer away from sibling rivalry whenever possible!] The genus Helleborus has become a revisited weakness for me! I am speaking about them at the September meeting of our local Horticultural Society, in an effort to promote their beauty and potential for shaded woodland gardens! Methinks that ‘Cotton Candy’ [photo courtesy of northwestgardennursery.com] will make a lasting impression!

cotton-2 And how was your week?

2 comments:

CanadianGardenJoy said...

Sweetie we have had rain by the bucket full yesterday and a little more to come apparently but I would not bank on it .. what a garden season this has become .. can you spell NIGHTMARE ?? eekkk !
I love your garden kids .. and I am totally jealous of you snagging Cotton Candy .. I just know YOU know that is on my wish list .. as is Red Racer still (the one that didn't work out .. Black Diamond was sent in substitution) .. I am hooked on hellebore as you are but I have all except one in the long raised stone bed so I can admire them in close quarters .. sing their glory to all that are trapped listening to you Barry sweetie!!LOL
Joy
PS I have a question for you

cheryl said...

I agree, the weather was from Hades, give me 75 with a clear sky and light breeze, hhmmm, me thinks I'm Canuckian. Anyhoo, I enjoyed your descriptions and am intrigued with the Hellebrous. I want to fill up the Celtic Circle with them though they are a tad expensive. I bought one to see how it would grow and will keep you posted. Though it says blooming in August, I ponder (insert whistling emotie icon here). Live and learn :)