10 Jul 2013

Mid-Summer Favourites

For me, the July garden heralds forth the mesmerizing bloom of two of my favourite woodland perennials: Deinanthe caerulea and Spigelia marilandica.

Spigelia marilandica

 DSC_0196

DSC_0197DSC_0199DSC_0203DSC_0206    Deinanthe caerulea

DSC_0205

I was also thrilled to see the return of Arisaema consanguineum ‘Perfect Wave’ which was a late season addition in 2012. I love the whorled, starburst pattern of its foliage and the added bonus of a silvery blue inlay to each leaflet is sublime! Elsewhere Acanthus hungaricus is blooming!

DSC_0207 DSC_0210 A small Cercis canadensis continues to bemuse me with the abundance of new growth for the second year in a row. A larger caliper specimen on the other side of the house has also settled in quite nicely! I never imagined I would have three of this native beauty, all of them amusing me quite so! Another favourite is Campanula lactiflora ‘Macrantha’ whose opalescent mauve flowers cloak its tall stems in early July.

DSC_0214

DSC_0226

Which brings us back to where we started……. hope that everyone is as happy being in their gardens this week as I am!

2 comments:

outlawgardener said...

Gorgeous plants as always Barry! It's a great time of the year for gardeners, isn't it?

gardenbug said...

The buds are on the Anemonopsis macrophylla...and I am happy.